To learn more about our Heritage Windows
The St. Paul Mission Church was the first name given to the church in 1933. It was organized through the vision and help of the historic St. Paul Methodist Church which still stands in the Arts District of downtown Dallas. Rev. Nathan Pinkard designated as the first pastor in 1933. It said that Rev.Pinkard walked the streets of Spring Ave, Wahoo, and Baldwin with a hymnbook and a Bible asking neighbors to visit and become a part of the ministry of the little church that met in a nearby community gathering place. Through prayer and persistence, the church started to grow by caring for others and showing Christian love. The annual conference assigned Rev. Dale Hansboro as the pastor in 1935. Rev.Hansboro continued the struggle to bring a Methodist church to East Dallas.
St. Luke History: A Caring Community Church
In 1937 the Rev. M.L. Reed was selected to serve as the pastor. His tenure was the longest of all the pastors during the first 20 years. During his administration, the Mission Church progressed from a small storefront church to a small building built by the congregation. In 1941, a fire destroyed the building but not the determination of this committed group of Christian. They met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Mc Lewis until their church repaired. After several years of continued work a red brick structure at Wahoo and Spring Ave. was completed in1945. In the late 1950s, the name changed to St. Luke Methodist Church. While the congregation was still tiny in numbers, it was a solid Christian force in the community. Led by Rev.Glover Thomas, the vision was to build toward the future by assessing all possibilities for church growth in the community.
The 1960s proved to be an exciting period in the life of the striving congregation. Under the leadership of Rev.J.R. Caruthers, St. Luke continued to serve the community. In 1965, the Lord sent his servant Dr. T. B. Echols as the 14th pastor of St. Luke Church. Dr.Echols soon realized the great potential God had provided to St. Luke for growth. He noted that the lay persons were young, caring and involved. His ministry filled with dynamic community programs for children and youth utilizing lay members as Christian leaders.
On July 14, 1974, St.Luke held its first services at the R.L.Thornton Freeway location under the newly anointed leadership of newly appointed Pastor Zan Wesley Homles, Jr. He also added the word “Community” to our name to proclaim to the world that St. Luke Church would always work for our Lord Jesus Christ through community service. After 27 years of dedicated service to St. Luke church and the community, Pastor Holmes retired in 2002. Pastor Tyrone Gordon appointed as the senior pastor of St. Luke “Community” United Methodist Church in July 2002 and served until February 2012. St. Luke Church has completed a series of mission trips; Brazil in 2004, and to the continent of Africa to Zimbabwe and Zambia in 2005. St. Luke mission trips have included New Orleans, 2006; Africa 2007; Mississippi in 2008; Galveston 2009 and the Bahamas in 2010.
In 2007. St. Luke purchased the Youth and Children’s Center located just across the south parking lot to enhance the space available for activities for children and youth of the church. With the help of great Christian Church members and leaders, the mortgage on the main building was fully paid in February 2011.
St. Luke is the Mother Church to recently chartered The Village UMC, Desoto Texas, Rev. Derek Jacobs, lead pastor. The Rev.Dr. Henry L. Masters, Sr. was appointed pastor of St. Luke “Community” U.M.C. in July 2012 and retired June 2014. As Senior Pastor Dr. Henry Masters, Sr. revitalize the youth ministry and Disciple Bible study ministries. In July 2014,
Dr. Michael Bowie, Jr. appointed as Senior Pastor of St.Luke.
St. Luke continues its mission to make disciples for Christ into the21st century. St. Luke continues to give thanks to God and to follow the great commission: “Go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.